Personable, Experienced Engineer with Excellent Writing Skills
Use your engineering knowledge and experience in combination with your interpersonal and writing skills to help innovative companies in the New England region obtain Research Tax Credits from the IRS. (Prior knowledge of the IRS tax code is not required.)
If you are a well-rounded person, an experienced engineer, and someone who really enjoys creating top-notch technical documentation, this position could be right for you.
Our company is a firm specializing in obtaining Research and Development Tax Credits for companies that have the courage to innovate. Our purpose is to help companies fund their inventions and novel approaches, which in turn helps the U.S. continue to lead the world technically and economically.
Our Technical Services Engineers draw upon their professional experience and intuition, supplemented by training we provide in the specifics of the Research Tax Credit, to understand and decipher the difference between true innovation and ordinary maintenance (for example: development of functional enhancements vs. bug-fixing, or experimentation vs. application of best practice) as these categories apply to the client’s technology.
The role of the Technical Services Engineer is to extract information from our clients regarding their qualified research activities, and then to convert this information into written reports that justify the Research Tax Credit allowed by the IRS to promote and help fund innovation.
Extracting the right information from the client requires the ability to interact comfortably with a wide range of client personnel including managers, researchers, and support staff. The Engineer must also be able to quickly grasp the language and concepts of a wide range of often unfamiliar technologies involving hardware, software, and a host of manufacturing processes.
The Engineer is able to:
- Be structured, yet personable
- Be efficient with time, yet diplomatic
- Manage large amounts of data
- Be disciplined, yet a flexible team player
The Technical Services Engineer needs to be a self-starter, accountable for results without close supervision. This requires an uncommon level of maturity, so that, unlike engineering positions in other companies, a minimum of 10 years of experience is required.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Schedule and carry out plant visits and technical interviews with clients.
- Conduct in-person, telephone, and online interviews with client personnel to obtain information regarding the following items associated with qualified research activities carried out by clients:
- Technical Challenges
- Experimental Activities
- Internal Documentation
- Maintain a series of well-organized, dated and, indexed interview notes.
- Examine client’s technical documentation pertaining to qualified R&D activities.
- Create technically correct, detailed, and clear project description documents in Microsoft Word format and submit them for review in a timely manner.
- Manage assignments by meeting monthly deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Participate in initial and ongoing training with the Director of Technical Services.
- Exhibit steady improvement in submitting written materials of satisfactory quality.
- B.S. degree or higher in engineering or a related technical field
- At least 10 years of engineering experience, preferably with manufacturing and/or R&D
- Strong command of spoken English
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word
- Excellent computer skills including GoToMeeting, Excel, and Outlook
- Some travel required
At Intrepid Advisors, we’re always looking for great people!
Do you enjoy a challenge and working in a fast-paced environment? Do you want to put your skills to work to make a positive difference in our nation? If you answered yes, then we want to hear from you.
As one of the leading R&D tax credit advisory firms in the U.S., we recognize the need to invest in our employees and to provide a supportive, team-based environment for learning, growth and advancement.
If you’re looking for a company that will challenge you and provide you the opportunity to work with a seasoned team of technology and accounting experts while helping America’s industries and our nation’s place in the global economy, then Intrepid Advisors could be the place for you.
Intrepid Advisors is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.